Shrimp Summer Rolls with Dipping Sauce

About 2 months ago, my husband and I decided to visit a small Asian market near our house. It has now become a weekly tradition. We go and get snacks, different types of instant ramen, and I like to look at all the neat ingredients that I don't usually see! After a couple trips, I decided to start stepping out of my usual cooking-comfort zone and make something I've never made before. I stumbled upon a picture of summer rolls while looking through a cookbook in my kitchen, and decided I needed to try them! There's been no looking back since then. We eat these summer rolls in our house pretty much every other week. They are quick, easy, tasty, and I love them because you can literally put WHATEVER you have in them! They take 20 minutes to make (15 of that is prep time), and can easily be made to fit all different types of lifestyles! If you're vegan/vegetarian, these rolls are absolutely delicious loaded with veggies and cooked tofu, or just loaded with veggies. Remember to tag me if you're making any of these recipes, Instagram @lifewithsarahdavis Facebook @SarahElizabeth

Author: Sarah Davis

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 4

Keywords: Shrimp, Summer Rolls, Vegetables, Healthy, Easy Dinner, Fast Dinner, Quick Dinner, Asian

Ingredients:

For the Rolls:

  • Rice Paper *See notes
  • Cucumber 
  • Shredded Carrots
  • Scallions
  • Avocado
  • Romaine Lettuce, Finely Chopped *See notes
  • Optional: Mint/Thai Basil/Cilantro
  • 1 small bag frozen peeled, deveined, raw shrimp (defrosted)
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 3 cloves garlic, grated
  • Juice of 1/4 lime
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
For the Dipping Sauce:
  • 1 teaspoon hoisin
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon sriracha (or more if you like it spicy)
  • 1/4 teaspoon rice wine
  • Juice of 1 lime wedge
  • Pinch of fresh grated ginger and garlic
  • 1 teaspoon honey

Instructions:

1. I like to start by getting all of my vegetables ready. Slice your cucumber into strips, cut your scallions and lettuce, and open your avocado. I put all of my veggies onto plates so they are easily accessible when I go to assemble my rolls.

All my veggies cut up and ready to use!

2. Begin to heat up 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over medium low heat in a skillet.

3. Make your dipping sauce. Combine hoisin, sesame oil, soy sauce, sriracha, rice wine vinegar, lime, ginger, garlic, and honey. Mix well and set aside.

4. Now it's time to cook the shrimp. To your skillet with sesame oil, grate in 3 cloves of garlic and add 1 teaspoon of grated ginger (minced is fine too!). Stir around to evenly distribute. Add shrimp, soy sauce, and lime juice. Cook shrimp for 2 minutes per side.

My shrimp, cooking away!

5. Time to assemble! Dip your rice paper in water to soften it. Place it on a smooth surface. Fill your rice paper with shrimp and your choice of veggies! Roll it like a burrito. See pictures below for how I rolled mine.

Loaded and ready to roll!


Fold the sides in.



Fold the bottom up and roll!

Done!

I like to cut mine in half, makes it a little easier
to eat! 

Notes:

1. Rice paper can be found at your local Asian Market or in your grocery store, usually in the ethnic food aisle. They come in many different sizes. I bought the XXL ones, not realizing how big they actually were. I've never seen them this big at my regular grocery store, so don't panic if yours aren't as big!

2. Instead of romaine lettuce, you could use shredded coleslaw mix. Cabbage is absolutely delicious in these rolls and the coleslaw mix saves some time! I usually use this, but I forgot to get it at the store, so we improvised and worked with what we had.

3. Pro tip: These get really hard to dip, or maybe i'm not skilled enough, lol. I use a spoon to pour some dipping sauce over the top of each bite.

4. One of my favorite things about this recipe is the versatality! Feel free to add/omit your favorite, or least favorite, vegetables in your rolls.

Comments

Popular Posts