Roasted Vegetables with Curry Sauce

One of my absolute favorite dinners, Roasted Vegetables with Rice and Curry Sauce. One of my best friends in middle school and high school, Nikki, had me come over for dinner. Her mom, Ms. Deb, made curry chicken and I remember just being OBSESSED with the sauce! I kept asking what curry was because I had never had it before. When I was in college, I remember smelling curry and I was like OH MY GOSH! I forgot about curry chicken! I bought curry powder at the store and went home to try to make it taste like I remembered! I am 100% sure that this is not how she makes it, but I know that it is so tasty! This is a vegetarian meal, but see the notes at the bottom for a suggestion about adding meat. This dinner is quick and easy, which makes it perfect for busy week nights. Remember, if you're making any of these recipes, be sure to snap a picture and tag me! Instagram- @lifewithsarahdavis Facebook- @SarahElizabeth


Author: Sarah Davis
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4
Keywords: Roasted Vegetables, Vegetarian, Curry Sauce, Curry, Dinner, Easy Dinner, Sheet Pan Dinner, Vegetables, Healthy
Ingredients:

  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 russet potato
  • 1/2 can chick peas, drained
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, I usually cut mine into smaller, bite sized pieces 
  • 1/2 bag California blend vegetables, defrosted (carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower)
  • 2-4 tablespoons olive oil (depending on how much you like!)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic
  • Your favorite rice, cooked to package directions (I used brown basmati)
For the Curry Sauce:
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon curry spice blend (I use Badia brand)
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 3/4 cup vegetable stock (or whatever stock you have!)
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk (or whatever milk you have)
  • A couple splashes of half and half/heavy whipping cream
  • Salt, to taste
  • OPTIONAL: Fresh cut Cilantro and Scallions for garnish
Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 425 F.

2. Cut potatoes, onion, and asparagus. Place them on a sheet pan. Add chick peas and defrosted California blend to the sheet pan. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder Toss with your hands or with tongs and place in the oven.

Here's how mine looked before going in the oven.


3. Bake vegetables for 15 minutes, flip the using a spatula, then bake for another 15 minutes.

Here's how mine looked out of the oven

4. While that's cooking, prepare your favorite rice according to package directions.

5. Begin making the curry sauce. Start by melting butter in a pan over a medium low heat. Once it is bubbly, add the curry powder and stir. Cook for 30 seconds then add flour. Stir well to combine, then cook for 30 seconds-1 minute. Slowly add in your vegetable stock and coconut milk, stirring well to ensure no lumps. Once the sauce starts to thicken, add a big splash of half and half until the curry turns to a mustard color.

This is the color I like mine to be!

7. Serve vegetables over rice. Top with curry sauce. Optional: Garnish with fresh cut cilantro and scallions

Notes:
1. I recommend cutting potatoes into small pieces so they cook faster.
2. Feel free to add chicken/tofu to your liking. Cut into small, bite size pieces and cook with the vegetables in the oven!


Comments

Popular Posts