Peanut Butter-Apple Baked Oatmeal Squares (VEGAN/PLANT BASED)

    If you know me, then you know that I am a huge fan of meal prep. As a teacher, anything that can make my life a little less stressful during the week is a win. Meal prepping takes me about 2-4 hours on a Sunday, but the rest of the week is smooth sailing. I don't have to think about what I am going to pack myself for breakfast and lunch, or think about what I am going to make for dinner with what I have in the fridge. 

    That being said, in my opinion, there are only SOME breakfast items that work well for meal prep. I find oatmeal to be one of those items for a few reasons. 

1. It is easy and quick to put together. 

2. It can reheat well. 

3. It is a great canvas for whatever flavors you decide to put on it. 

4. It keeps me FULL from 6:45 am - 11:45 am when it's time for lunch. 
    

    Last year, everyday, and I mean everyday, I ate overnight oats for breakfast during the week. (I'll post that recipe at a later date) This year I decided that I was wanting to get a little crazy and change it up, so baked oatmeal it is! After reading some recipes and learning the basics behind baked oatmeal, this is the recipe I've come up with! It is quick and easy on meal prep Sundays, tastes great, and stores well in the fridge for 5 days. 




Remember, if you're making any of these recipes, be sure to snap a picture and tag me! Instagram- @lifewithsarahdavis Facebook- @SarahElizabeth

Author: Sarah Davis
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: 5-6
Keywords: Oatmeal, Baked Oatmeal, Breakfast, Vegan, Healthy, Meal Prep, Easy, quick, meal prep, plant based.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups unsweeted vanilla almond milk (or plant/nut milk of your choosing)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or more if you want it sweeter)
1 tablespoon ground flax seed *if you don't have flax, just double the chia*
1 tablespoon chia seed
3 tablespoons warm water
2 apples, diced
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.

2. In a small bowl, add chia seeds, flax seeds, and 3 tablespoons warm water. Mix and set aside for 5-10 minutes or until it has thickened and looks like a "gel".

Here's what the chia/flax mixture should look like. It will become thick after a few minutes. 

2. Add peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 10 second intervals until melted. Once melted, add maple syrup, apple sauce, and almond milk. Mix.

3. Add oats, apples, and flax/chia mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix well.

Should look something like this. Feel free to add more milk if it's too thick. 

4. Add salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder.

5. Add 1/4 cup of the oatmeal mixture to each brownie square in the pan. *NOTE- You can also use a regular baking dish. I just use the brownie pan because then it is already portioned for my breakfast. *

Here's what mine looked like before baking!

6. Bake at 375 F for 25-30 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the edges of the oatmeal.
This is what mine look like when they're finished. 
7. Place into container (s) and put in the fridge. I do 2 squares = 1 serving. These last 5-6 days in the fridge. 
8. To serve: Microwave for 45-60 seconds. Top with a little extra peanut butter and maple syrup.
Extra maple syrup and peanut butter optional! 

Comments

Popular Posts